Thursday, February 17, 2011

DIY Birch Tree Wall Mural

I really wanted to paint birch trees in our nursery but I didn't want it to look like a mural. I wanted it to look more like wall paper. So I got a quart of the same paint and had it mixed at 25% lighter than the wall paint. I used a small roller to paint the trunk of the tree. Then I went in with a smaller brush to paint the branches. Next with the same brush I painted the darker bark marks with the original wall color. This was probably the hardest part because it is hard to see what you have painted because the colors appear the same when they are wet. Now you are done. It is really easy, also because the colors are so similar it is very forgiving. Have fun!

4 comments:

  1. Love the room! You are such a talented mom and sister. Love you. I also love your etsy shop. I think I might be posting something on facebook...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My name is Candace Vena. I would love to feature you as my spotlight Artist on my own blog. There, I would love to feature this particular project and endorse your work by linking your blog to my post. I also would love to gather a quick few thoughts from you. candaceraephoto@gmail.com
    http://allboybycandacerae.blogspot.com/

    *It's a small world we live in! I not only worked at Hume, I would attend summer camp there with ABC Church! My sister Jenna worked at Hume for years :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love your mural - I love that your chosen colors are very soft and easy on the eyes.

    I recently attempted a birch tree mural in my son's room. I'm trying to make mine look like those white decals - it's taking forever because I keep painting layers and layers of white paint. Anywho, here is a link, would love to hear what you think of it so far:

    http://everything-under-my-sun.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-tree-mural.html

    ReplyDelete